Monday, June 29, 2015

To kill time in CO, before moving on to WY, I decided to take a 3 day trip up to Estes Park, CO which is in the Rocky Mountain National Forest Area.  More beautiful mountains and streams. 
 
 
 
 
On the way to Estes Park, I stopped in Nederland, CO for lunch at Dot's Diner where I had the best spinach salad.  All the guys in there were dudes with long hair.  Colorado mountain men everywhere. 
 
 
This is a street musician in Estes Park singing outside a restaurant.  He was very talented and entertaining and another mountain man.   
 
 
Estes Park had lots of tourists vacationing and probably there for July 4th.  I ended up walking about 3 miles into town as the shuttles were way off schedule.  When I got there, I decided I deserved a homemade ice cream cone.  I just sat and people watched on the main street of town which is always fun.   
 
 
On the way to downtown, I saw this trout fishing pond where one could fish for free and only pay for the fish that they caught.  I put that on my list to do the next day but got a late start so missed out.  I still want to fish for trout but would like to fly fish in a stream if possible.


There was a Scandinavian Festival taking place in the park downtown.


I decided to tour the Stanley Hotel, where Steven King spent the night and got his inspiration for "The Shining."  Supposedly the ghost of Mrs. Wilson is there along with other ghosts.  Mrs. Wilson was a housekeeper in the hotel and it is believed that when guests stay in Room 217, strange things happen such as their clothes beings picked up and neatly folded and beds being unexpectantly turned
down. 

Bruno Mars has stayed in this room as has Jim Carey while making the movie, "Dumb and Dumber."  Carey bolted from the hotel and stayed somewhere else when he supposedly had a weird experience in that room.



This is the notorious haunted room 217 with our very hyper tour guide....another dude.  His long hair is swept up into a ponytail.


And this is the seemingly endless hallway where the twins were standing at the end.


Interestingly, there was a wedding about to be taking place on the grounds and I could not take my eyes off of these two little cuties.


The weird thing about this tour is I turned my head for a minute and my whole tour group was gone.....they just disappeared.  I looked all over for them and never found them.  Do you suppose they ever existed?  Were they ghosts?  Very strange.

Leaving Estes Park, I took the time to walk around Lake Estes.  The water was so blue and the weather perfect.





On the way back to Central City, I passed this Catholic Church out in the middle of nowhere.   I  thought it was very pretty and fit beautifully into the mountainous landscape.


 
 
I am now back in Central City for a couple more days to visit with a friend and her family who will
be here vacationing in the mountains and also to hopefully see another friend who is moving to Denver the first of July.  Then I plan to move on to Wyoming.  I'm ready.  This is another pretty old Methodist church in downtown Central City.
 
 

No comments: