Sunday, October 18, 2015

Strolling Around Dayton, OR

Today, Juliet (another RVer I met here in the park where I am staying) and I decided to walk from the park to downtown Dayton.  There wasn't a whole lot happening on Sunday but we did get a lot of walking in and had a great lunch at this little restaurant which was once an old Baptist church. built in 1886.  The dog on my lap is Romeo, a real sweetheart that I would keep if Juliet would let me,  He was mine for the day, 


This is the restaurant, not a church anymore.. It's called the Blockhouse Café.



Across the street from the Blockhouse Cafe, in the park, is the historical Fort Yamhill Blockhouse.  Built in Polk County, OR in 1856, the outpost consisted of a wooden blockhouse, sentry box, barracks, officers’ quarters, carpenter's shop, hospital, cook houses, blacksmith shop, tables, barn, sutler’s store, and laundress quarters.  The wood blockhouse was built to provide a refuge to settlers of the area in case of attack by the Native Americans.  After the fort was abandoned, the block house was moved from the hill it was positioned on and served as a jail in the Valley Junction area, and later moved about 30 miles east to Dayton.


Local artists have displayed their talents in this little town by painting all of the barrel planters along the main street of town.





And on the windows of the vacant old buildings.
 


Mick, a Jack Russell, is Juliet's other dog.  Juliet has been RVing for only a year and works on the road representing a pet food company.  She has a website at  http://tailsfromtheroad.com/


We had a great day and it was time to head home across the bridge that connects to the RV park.  Romeo and Mick are allowed to walk without their leashes where there is no traffic.  Romeo keeps looking back to see where we are.  Mick is more of a wanderer.  Very well behaved pooches though.  Makes me kind of wish I had one and then I come to my senses.  My space is too small for pets. 


No comments: