Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Two days ago I decided to head to South Dakota instead of Yellowstone National Park, which was my original plan.  I thought it would be interesting to see Mt. Rushmore and it was.



 The history around it is something else.  It took 14 years and 400 men to carve the mountain.  The carving started in 1927. Most of it was carved using dynamite.  The faces measure 60 feet high, the same as a six story building.  The creator was a sculptor named Gutzon Borglum.


 
In the gift shop was one of the original miners, Don Clifford, who worked on the sculpture.  He was eager to talk about his experience, while signing his books, but he didn't want his picture taken.  Well, I managed to take it anyway.  He is 94. 
 
 

I met another lady who was traveling alone so we took each other's pictures.  Much better than a selfie but I do think its funny how everyone has to have their picture taken in front of famous monuments.  Why is that?  Guess I'm guilty today. 


That evening I went to wine tasting at the KOA park where I was staying.  I met several other travelers.  It's amazing how people open up over wine.   Later we all sat around a fire pit as the weather was 58 degrees.  They were from MN, NY, IN and Canada.  The Canadians persuaded me to go on up to Canada from MT.  They made a list of places I should see so maybe.    The SD wines we drank were Red Ass Rhubarb and Three Rednecks, named for the red berries they use in their wines which makes them a little too sweet for my taste.


That morning I had decided I was going to attempt to ride a horse.  I wasn't afraid to ride but I was wondering how I could get up on one with my bad knee.  Fortunately, they had a platform so that was not going to be a problem but the list for riders was filled so the ride will have to be another time.  I did get to spend time with the horses though and this was my favorite.  His name is Peanut Butter and I just know he wanted to go home with me. 

 
OK...I liked Diamond Jim too and yes, this is a selfie.  But how many times can you have a picture with a horse...better than a monument.
 
 
Today, I left Mt. Rushmore and decided to go to Deadwood, SD as it sounded interesting.  The gold mining town became known for its wild and almost lawless reputation.  Wild Bill Hickok was murdered here and he and Calamity Jane are both buried here.  I'm anxious to explore the town tomorrow. 
 
On my way to Deadwood, I stopped at another monument called Crazy Horse Memorial, a tribute to all Native American tribes.  It is the largest mountain carving located in the Black Hills of SD....even bigger than the presidents' faces at Mt. Rushmore.  So far, it has been 67 years in the making and is well over two football fields wide.  Sculptor Korczak Ziolkowski began  the project in 1948.  After his death, his wife and 7 of his 10 children continue to fulfill his dream. 
 
 
The head measures 87 feet high.  The project is non profit and funded through private donations, fundraising and events.
 
 
 
This is what the finished sculpture will look like when finished many years from now.
  

No comments: